Saturday, January 11, 2014

Glass Scissors Paper

     Remember all that time I spent taping together the pattern?  Today I cut it all apart. Each window will be made in three panels, with a 2 1/4" mullion running vertically through the picture. In order to keep the proportions correct, I have to create the full sized cartoon, then cut it into three parts, keeping in mind the elements of the design and the missing space for the mullions.
    Edd Eckland made a template for the windows, and it is perfect. Everything is straight, square and true, which makes my job a lot easier.
    Today I completed the pattern, measured and cut it apart. Then I took the section for the first panel and made a sandwich of contact paper, carbon paper (remember carbon paper?) and the pattern. I traced the pattern so it would show on the contact paper. The contact paper is then used on the glass so I can cut the pieces out. I took it all apart again.
    Finally I set the whole cartoon on a piece of sheet rock, block it out to size and measure everything once more. The phrase "measure twice, cut once" takes on a whole new meaning with glass. Praise be, it's perfect. Five hours of layout, and I haven't even cut any glass yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment