Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It'll Be A Blast!

The largest part of the Lady Liberty for Ne Obliviscaris is soldered and ready for the sandblasted banner on the bottom.

After staring back and forth between pieces of glass, I decided to make the banner piece out of clear glass instead of the blue glass. With the motto etched on I think it will look better against the blue glass in the second panel.

The second panel is cut out and foiled, but since some of the pieces in the body of the panel are to be sandblasted also, I have to wait until they are done before soldering it. The lettering here shows through from the pattern cartoon, but it gives a good version of how it looks, pre-foil. All of that black background... will be gone. I used Spectrum artique for the border and blue gluechip for the badge field.

I took the cut pieces of blue glass, taped copies of the script to the back and then put the resist on the top of the glass. I used an electric stencil cutter (like a hot craft knife) and cut out the letters. Then after removing the unwanted pieces, I used a craft knife to clean up the edges. I had lots of solid advise from other glassers about how to cut these out. Of course, I didn't follow any of that advise, but this seemed to work best for me. We'll see what happens when they get blasted.

I met with a very talented glass artist nearby, Ruth Doumit, who will be very generously helping me with the sandblasting. Hopefully she will have time to help me with that this week.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Never Forget

Ne Obliviscaris is the motto for the Campbell Clan, and is also the title for this piece. A two panel piece, this will be constructed similarly to a plated piece. The two panels will not be leaded together, but rather framed together.

For the front panel, I have modified a Glass Crafters pattern by removing their background, leaving Lady Liberty. Here, the background is clear glass. The statue is white wispy and white wispy/opal, with amber pieces for the flame and lights in the crown. At this point the piece is cut and foiled, awaiting the motto banner at the bottom.

The motto will be sandblasted onto blue glass. I've laid the blue across the unfinished piece to get a feel for the finished look of the first panel.
I still have to cut the script into the resist. I've not done this before, but I think I will put the resist on the glass, then a layer of carbon paper, then a copy of the script. I'll trace the script, remove the carbon paper, and cut out the letters into the resist.

Caduceus In Burl

I'm still in the process of packing up the house, entertaining my granddaughter, weeding the garden, dismantling the deck around the house for the construction project, and various sundry chores and projects.

In the meantime I needed to do a "Glass Challenge" project for a glass gift exchange. It needed to be about 8", 15 pieces, and mailed to the recipient by mid-August. I had limited information about the recipient other than their occupation was in nursing, and they just painted their house green.
So I decided to make a caduceus and mount it on a piece of alder. I used some ripped out electrical wire from the construction project,twisted it with the screwgun, then mounted a glass glob in the top loop. I then drilled a hole in the burl and it's done!
Same problem seems like I've stalled out on the soldering skills. Had I been able to set the piece in hobby came around the edge, I would have been much happier. But I have only tried to do that once time before and didn't seem to get the knack of it.
I'm also working on a two panel project that I will start posting soon.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sounds Fishy To Me

While splitting wood for the winter, I kept seeing pieces of alder with beautiful grain around knots. Every time I put one in the stack of wood, I'd think, "Gosh, it's a shame to burn something so pretty." Next thing I knew I was throwing some of them into a pile. I knew I wanted to do something with them, but what? So I posted a picture of some of them on the glass forum I frequent, Artisans of Glass . In response, one of the folks there posted a picture of a beautiful pine knot they had used as a stand for a stained glass fish. What a great idea! I wish my brain worked like that!

Is there such a thing as coincidence? That same week, I received an e-mail from a friend asking if I would make a stained glass fish for his boss for a birthday gift..not too big. Yeah, I can do that! So I started hunting for a fish pattern. Spectrum Glass has many free patterns that they post for use, and they had the perfect fish...but waaaaiiiiit a minute..that fish looked familiar. Darned if it wasn't the same fish! Damn! That feels really close to copying. So after see sawing back and forth, I decided that since I was pressed for time, I'd just use the Spectrum pattern and had Ed route out a piece of the alder that I had. I glued felt on the bottom so it wouldn't be scratchy, and in the mail it went. I hereby issue a public bow to my forum-mates for their good taste and superior work, and thank them for their inspiration.