Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Neat Desk Is The Sign Of A Sick Mind

I promised to make my granddaughter Elicia's Halloween costume, so I won't be doing any glass for a week or so. But that didn't stop me from spending money on glass anyway!
Ed and I took a rainy day trip to Portland last Tuesday, and went through the Ikea store. That was our first time. We should have brought a lunch, or hiking boots, maybe a tent..at the very least we should have left a trail of breadcrumbs to find our way back out. Who knew? Of course we couldn't just go in without buying something. We found a table-top with an inset opaque panel that will make a great little lightbox, and the legs are adjustable for height and tilt.


I began setting up my new glass table by unburying my current table and piling stuff on the kitchen floor. Then I decided to move the plants around. Well you can't just pick up a plant and move it. Gosh, it needs to be repotted...look...the roots are growing out the bottom. Now I know I have a bigger pot here somewhere. Dang, now I need more potting soil. Hey..here's that pattern book I lost. Next thing I know I'm on the floor thumbing through it.


Eventually I managed to uncover the table, relocate the plants, throw the dead plants away, clean the cobwebs off the window sill , and get the old dining table out to the barn.


The new table is essentially two elaborate sawhorses that are adjustable for height and tilt, and a flat table top that lays on top. The top has a lip on the back to keep the top from sliding off when the table is tilted.






Look quick, while it's still pristine. Ed will build a light box under that glass panel, but until then, I have a gooseneck lamp that I can just shine up from the floor.






Here it is all back together. I have it set at 34" which is good for standing and working. If I want to use the chair, I'll just lower the table. And yes, I roll up the rug when I'm working on a project. This table is the same size as the one I had here, but I'm hoping to learn to light, trace and cut the pattern pieces more accurately this way.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. Love that saying about the desk, used to use it all the time. But now at my age, I don't offer even that excuse anymore, LOL.

    Great setup and love the peacock pattern too. We'll have to get you hooked on glass eye software for doing patterns, if this little old lady can do it, I am sure you'll catch on. Go to www.dfly.com and down load the 30 day free trial. Enjoy the wonderful world of SG and have fun. Joan Frances (from SGV)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa,
    Love your work table and enjoyed viewing your blog. You did a great job on the peacock pattern.
    For just starting SG your doing great and hope to see more of your work and get to know you.
    Diane(ct4mom from SGV)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. It is very nice that talented folks like yourselves take the time to encourage the new guys. It really means alot. Yes, I'm lusting for the GE software..maybe for Christmas if I'm very very good!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete